Los Angeles is peppered with plenty of amazing museums that offer free admission for kids, either all the time or on select days/times.
Below is a round-up of all the regular free museum days (or hours) for kids in Los Angeles County:
- THE BROAD: Just make sure you have a reservation which you can do HERE
- GETTY CENTER: Admission is free and parking is $15 before 5 pm, and $10 after 5 pm.
- GETTY VILLA: Make sure to make a reservation in advance which you can do HERE
- ANNENBERG SPACE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY: Free admission always!
- MOCA GRAND AVENUE : Starting January 11th, MOCA will offer free admission always.
- HAMMER MUSEUM: Free all the time!
- INSTITUTE OF CONTEMPORARY ART: Free all the time!
AUTRY MUSEUM OF THE AMERICAN WEST: (free on second Tuesday of each month all day)
- THE HUNTINGTON : (free on the first Thursday of each month) – but make sure to book online in advance (and quickly, as they go fast)
- KIDSPACE CHILDREN'S MUSEUM : Free Family Nights (from 4-8 pm on the first Tuesday of each month, except in September)
- LACMA: Free for all visitors, even non-residents, on the second Tuesday of each month from 11 am-5 pm (kids 17 and younger always get in free). also, free from 3-5 pm on weekdays with a Los Angeles County ID, including 3-8 pm on Fridays.
- LOS ANGELES COUNTY ARBORETUM AND BOTANICAL GARDEN : Free admission on the third Tuesday of each month (note that there are no guided tours available on these days)
- NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM OF LOS ANGELES: Free admission all day on the first Tuesday of each month, except in July and August. Also free on weekdays from 3-5 pm with a Los Angeles County ID.
- NORTON SIMON MUSEUM : Free from 5-8 pm on the first Friday of each month (kids 18 and younger always receive free admission)
- LONG BEACH MUSEUM OF ART : Free from 3-8 pm each Thursday
- MUSEUM OF LATIN AMERICAN ART : Free all day on Sundays
- MOCA GRAND AVENUE : Free every Thursday from 5-8 pm, until Jan. 11 th – when admission will always be free.
COST SAVING TIPS FOR MEMBERSHIPS AT LOS ANGELES MUSEUMS
- LACMA : offers a free youth membership for all kids and teens younger than 17 who live in Los Angeles. For adults, you can opt for the individual membership ($80 per year) or the dual option for two adults ($130/year).
- NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM OF LOS ANGELES COUNTY: This one offers a couple different family membership options, which actually get you into three museums (Natural History, La Brea Tar Pits, and William S. Hart Museum). The cheaper option is $119/year, good for two adults and up to four children. The “Family Plus” option ($149) gets you a transferable digital membership card, when you want to bring an extra friend or family member. To go all out, the Patron Family membership is $240/year, and gets you free “Scavenger Safari” tours, a free dinosaur plush toy, and free or discounted admission to 300 other museums, for the next time your family takes a trip somewhere.
- THE HUNTINGTON: A “Sustaining” membership option ($159) gives two adults free admission, plus free admission for all children under 18 as long as you accompany them.
Aspen the Docent
Docent by day and sometimes night, avid creator always. And yeah, I’m a peg person.
Email me at email@example.com with any thoughts!